- Mini Hokie BugCamp - July 16th, 8:30am - 12:30pm, registration required, Virginia Tech Campus - CANCELLED
- Hokie BugCamp - July 17th, 8:30am - 4:30pm, registration required, Virginia Tech Campus - CANCELLED
- Hokie BugFest - October 17th, 10am - 5pm, open to the public, free admission, Squires Student Center and downtown Blacksburg
Have you heard of Brood IX (9)? Brood IX is a group of periodical cicadas – insects that appear only once every 17 years in southwestern Virginia. Last seen in 2003, these amazing insects will emerge from the soil this spring to make their 2020 debut. Then, after less than two months above ground, they will disappear into the soil for another 17 years.
Celebrate this unique event by creating a TIME CAPSULE!!
• Use this booklet to record facts about yourself, the world in 2020, and cicada Brood IX.
• Seal everything inside a shoe box or other container.
•Open your time capsule in 2037 when Brood IX emerges again and see how things have changed.
*Cicada Watch graphic developed by WDBJ7 for a collaborative effort in educational activities and information regarding the emergence of Brood IX